I was going to buy some lovely little shorts with that saying across the behind, but Michael talked me out of it. Seriously, every store in Belize had all kinds of apparel with this saying. I think it's what made Belize famous. Oh wait, it's not so famous. In fact, most people's reaction when we said we were going to Belize for our 10th anniversary was, "Where's that? Is that a country or a city?"
It's been 10 days since we returned home from Belize, and I finally found a few minutes to document our trip. This won't be very long because we really did a whole lot of nothing, and it was AWESOME. I'm sad to admit that Michael and I have not been on a vacation just the 2 of us in a very long time. Too long. So this week was much needed for both of us. I apologize if you get bored with the pictures of Michael by the beach, Sarah on the beach, Michael by the pool, Sarah eating dinner, etc.
We slept in every morning, although our "sleeping in" was nothing like it was 10 years ago. Waking up and realizing it was 8:00am was such a luxury! We then went and sat outside and ordered an AMAZING breakfast. We gazed out over the ocean as we drank our coffee and prepared for a strenuous day of laying by the pool and ocean.
We would then make our way to the pool where this was our view...
Or maybe we chose to lay on the beach where this was our view...
We read, talked, laughed and completely forgot about what the boys were doing at home.
We then made our way to the beach bar where we ate things like shrimp tacos & grilled snapper sandwiches. Mmmmm...so yummy! It was a bit difficult to adjust to peanut butter and jelly when I returned home.
And then it was back to more of the same in the afternoon, but we'd always try to swith up the locale. Decisions, decisions.
After our difficult day, we would head to our room to relax and and get ready for dinner. Our room was perfect. Our resort was perfect. A small, quaint resort with about 60 casitas, villas and suites. This was the view from our little deck.
And dinner was always AMAZING. We stayed at our resort most nights but went to a couple of other places in the town and at other resorts.
To be fair, we did actually do some other things besides just laying around. For example, this was the most amazing massage I have ever had. The therapist's name was Sara, and I tried really hard to get her to move to Kansas and be my personal massage therapist, but I guess my offer wasn't good enough.
We got a golf cart one day and explored the town of San Pedro. It was such a fun little adventure. Most people there drive golf carts instead of cars, and San Pedro makes for some great people watching.
We also went on a private sunset sail that was absolutely beautiful and very romantic.
Although I don't have any pictures to prove it, we also went snorkeling. Belize sits on the world's 2nd largest barrier reef so the snorkeling is incredible. We first went to a marine reserve where we saw all kinds of marine life such as many different types of schools of fish, a sea turtle and a baracuda. Our next location was an area where sharks and stingrays are known to hang out. The stingrays were everywhere, and I will admit that I was a bit nervous about being surrounded by them. But I was REALLY scared when a large shark swam right next to Michael and I, only about 2 feet away. Michael loves to tell the story about how I was screaming under water. I'm such a whimp.
And after a week it was time to say goodbye to this beautiful little island...
We decided that we had more fun together on our 10th anniversary trip than we did on our honeymoon. Maybe we're more comfortable together or maybe we just appreciate the time away more, but whatever it is I know that we are blessed to have each other, and we do not take our marriage for granted.
And this trip wouldn't have been such a treat if we didn't have such a full life to return home to. Our 3 sweet boys were so excited to see us and reminded us how much we are loved and how blessed we really are.
Sunday, June 14, 2009
You better Belize it
Posted by Sarah at 5:08 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Loved your sharing & seeing you both more relaxed in each pic! So happy for you that you had that special anniv time. Love & blessings for finding time for many more relaxing trips in the yrs to come; and blessings also for your wonderful home life with your precious boys! Love you all!
I don't know you, but at some point I came across your blog and I love reading it. I love the trip you took for your 10 year anniversary. My husband and I are getting ready to celebrate our's in September and this looks right up our alley. I was curious if you would mind sending me the name of the resort you stayed? I would love to find out more information about it. Thanks so much! Blessings, Sarah
Sarah,
There might be a way to e-mail you directly but I don't know how so hopefully you will get this! Are you by any chance the one who left a comment a long time ago? Again, I was trying to figure out how to leave you a message but I couldn't. I was just thinking about that the other day!
The name of the resort is The Victoria House. I can't say enough good things about it. The casitas are the cheapest option and I think they are the best option. The casitas were all booked so we had a plantation room. Belize is so close too - if you live in DFW, I think there is a direct flight that's only about 3 hours and then a 15 min. flight to the island. Let me know if you have any more questions!
Sorry Sarah. It's newburns@mac.com. We have a gmail account which is how I was able to leave a comment at all I guess? But, I didn't realize the email address didn't show up. I don't know if I left you a message before or not? I guess it's totally possible, I have the worst memory. Thanks so much for the information. This place looks beautiful. I think we might look into it. You have a beautiful family! Thanks again!
I can't believe that you've been married for 10 years! I'm so glad that you and Michael were able to enjoy yourselves and celebrate your sweet marriage. It looks like you guys had a fabulous time!
You all are so cute and I am glad you got to be away for so long. Maybe I can start talking to my parents about our 10th anniversary a year in advance just to prep them to watch our 5! Happy Anniversary!
The Wolfes
Oh Sar. I'm dying just reading this post. We are leaving for a little trip to the lake for a week but I have learned that a trip with the kids is called "a family trip" while a trip with just the two of you is called "VACATION." Girl, I'm so glad you got a vacation. Sleeping late, reading, lying in the sun, eating wonderful food...it sounds like sheer bliss! Loved the photos - you look so good, Mommy! I know it was lovely to enjoy Michael is that setting and I promise to call you someday to get all the details. We will need a vacation at some point!
looked magical!! i may have to put a bug in ben's ear! miss you!
Post a Comment