I remember the day clearly. May 20th, 2006. Actually it was the evening of the 19th when I was feeling very ready for this little boy to enter the world. We went out for mexican food with hopes of speeding things up. At about midnight, right as I was getting into bed, my water broke and after doing a few things around the house, we headed to the hospital. Soon after, I received an epidural and took a short nap before pushing just 3 or 4 times to bring sweet Benjamin into the world. It was perfect and - dare I say it - easy.
As a baby, Ben was content, easily consolable and laid-back. He went to sleep when he was tired and ate when he was hungry. He was a delight. It's hard to believe that was 3 years ago! So much has happened since then, and our life has been more than hectic, but Ben has continued to be a true delight. He handled becoming a big brother at only 16 months with complete ease. And while I have worried in the past about him becoming that typical "middle child", I now know that his personality will never allow him to be overlooked.
There is so much that I love about this kid that it's hard to even put it into words. I do know that I love being with him, and I love who he is!
I love how he sincerely loves people - there's nothing complicated about it.
He is a great big brother, as he loves to take care of Graham and always makes sure he has what he needs.
I love his sense of humor. Even at his young age, he cracks us up! He has this dry sense of humor and a way of acting like he's not joking when he really is. One of his new favorite phrases is, "I'm just kidding!"
He is the sweetest and most generous little guy I know. He gave his first piece of cake tonight to his big brother. Seriously, who does that?!
While he is sweet, he is also aggressive. But he isn't aggressive in a mean way. He just isn't afraid to use his body to get what he wants.
He lives in his own little world much of the time. He can play by himself for hours and usually doesn't hear me until I repeat myself about 10 times.
His giggle is one of the sweetest sounds I know. I will do just about anything to hear it.
He is clumsy. So clumsy. The poor guy gets hurt about every hour but never makes a big fuss about it.
His clumsiness reminds me that he is so much like his dad. Ben is becoming more like his dad everyday. Maybe that's why I just love being around him!
His birthday was a special one. We spent the morning at Deanna Rose Farmstead with some good friends. We then picked up the beloved Chick-fil-a and headed home with our friends for lunch in the backyard. The kids played and had a great time. Levi and I made a birthday cake while Ben was taking his afternoon nap. He then played with some neighbors outside before Daddy arrived home and Grandma came over to celebrate.
Ben opened his presents and while he was a bit distracted by his first gift of some new cars, he loved all of the gifts. And trust me, he had lots of help opening them.
We ordered a pizza (Ben's favorite) and played outside before Ben blew out the candles on his cake. He keeps saying that he is 6 years old now. I think he's just joking, but he says it with such sincerity. The candles were blown out halfway through the song, and he was quite excited when that task was completed.
Graham definitely enjoyed the cake.
And then we had tons of fun playing "soccer" in the backyard. I use quotation marks because soccer was played with a beach bal and hands were often usedl. It was an absolutely gorgeous evening and with all the laughter and smiles, I couldn't get enough of it. Actually, I couldn't get enough of Ben!
Happy birthday, sweet Ben. You are an absolute joy - I love you so much and am blessed to be your mommy!
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Happy 3rd birthday, Ben
Posted by Sarah at 10:10 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Happy Birthday precious Ben!!! Priceless pics and words about him-- & I'm so proud to be his auntie. Love you all & extra hug for Ben XO XO XO XO XO
Post a Comment