I wrote 27 things that I love about Levi for his birthday on April 27th and 20 things that I love about Ben for his May 20th birthday, but thankfully, there's a lot more than one thing that I love about you so I won't make a list for your September 1st birthday.
There are, however, so many things that I want to tell you. I sat down to write in your birthday card a few days ago, and I could hardly think of anything that I haven't already written to you in a past card. I'm a woman of many words, and I often find myself repeating them over and over again. Everything is beginning to sound so cliche. So to honor you on your 31st birthday, I'll put some thoughts out there on the world wide web.
I didn't deserve you on August 7, 1999, and I definitely don't deserve you now. In my marriage vows I told you that you were a perfect picture of God's grace in my life. That has only become more real with time. I remember mentioning to a friend in college that I had a little crush on you and she responded by saying, "join the crowd". I, just like her, never dreamed that I would actually date you and end up married to you. You generally make very wise decisions, but seriously babe, I question that decision. I definitely got the best end of the deal.
You are the hardest worker I know, and the greatest thing about that is that you absolutely never complain. You aren't the kind of husband who whines about your long hours or looks for affirmation for all you do for us. You sneak out of the house early in the morning and do your best to make it home before dinner. After a stressful day at work you always walk into the house as though you have all the energy in the world. We don't get your leftovers - you always give us your best. You never flaunt the work you've done for us. (Unlike me who wants to stack up all the laundry I've done just to make sure you know how hard I work!) You do it all selflessly and without gain.
The boys and I never have to wonder what your priorities are. Your work is important to you, and I know without a doubt that you do your work with integrity, but the boys and I are most important to you. If we need you, you're here. I will never forget watching you talk to the CFO of the largest hospital in Dallas while sitting in our hearth room holding a very sick little boy. You were completely calm and able to do your work well while loving on your little guy.
You know who you are and you're comfortable with it. You don't try to be someone you aren't. That means that you don't care what others think and you never have to work at impressing people. What you see is what you get. And the best thing is that what everyone else sees and what we get are both extraordinary.
Steady Eddie...that's definitely you. And although you think that means you're boring, you're wrong. This emotional girl needs your level head, and I'm so grateful for it. In fact, our family depends on it in so many ways!
Just to affirm the fact that you aren't boring, I have to mention that you are an absolute kid at heart. It cracks me up to watch you play with the boys because sometimes it's hard to figure out who is having the most fun. The other day we were at the park and I couldn't help but smile as I watched you play tag with Levi and Ben. You looked like a little boy as you were running around with that little grin.
You love people. I have never met anyone who doesn't like you or doesn't get along with you. I'm amazed at your ability to find the good in everyone. You love your friends well - even though you are busy with work and family, you always make time for the guys. I love that. And you also have an amazing ability to minister to those who some of us don't exactly want to be around.
Our boys absolutely adore you because you are an amazing daddy. Every morning Levi asks me when you will be home and he continues to do so over and over all day long. Levi and Ben race to the door when they hear the garage. You are definitely loved and shadowed by 3 little boys. They are learning a lot from you, especially what it means to love the Lord and love others. You talk often about the kind of relationship you desire to have with the boys when they are older, and I hope you know that these early years are providing such a positive foundation for those relationships. I have no doubt that our boys will respect and look up to you, leading them to look to you for guidance and friendship.
One of the things that I appreciate the most is the way that you challenge and encourage me. You never allow the truth to be compromised in order to protect my feelings or emotions. You help me to grow because, after all, I have a lot of areas that need a little pruning! I think you're able to do this in my life because you love the Lord first and foremost. Your desire to honor and glorify Him is at the center of all you do for me, our boys and your work.
I hope you know how much I appreciate all you do for our family. I am nothing apart from Christ, and I'm an absolute mess without you.
I love you, Hubs.
Happy Birthday!
Monday, September 1, 2008
Happy Birthday, Michael!
Posted by Sarah at 9:42 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Sarah!! makes me a little teary, this is precious. and heart-felt. AND, you totally captured him - of course. I love especially that he is himself anywhere around anyone - comfortable in his own skin.
I admire you two and your marriage greatly, friend!
I agree, Sarah. Mike is next to perfect. Great post about your hubbie. Of course, after reading it I feel like a complete loser. Happy birthday, Mike. Hope all is well with you guys.
Chris
Don't worry, Chris...I made it all up.
I agree with all you wrote except for one thing. I think he got a pretty good catch too. You two are perfect together.
Love, Mimi
I love & appreciate you too, dear Michael!!! Happy Birthday all year long! XO
Post a Comment