There are lots of common themes for little boys' birthday parties...pirates, Thomas, Cars, cowboys, Diego, etc. But have you ever heard of a Gordon party? Levi decided several months ago that he wanted a Gordon birthday party and was pretty adamant about it. Gordon is the big express engine from Thomas the Train. He's the biggest and fastest (and the #4 engine), which is probably why Levi has always loved him. I was confused at first about how we would have a Gordon party, but it was so much fun to create!
Levi's 3rd birthday party was at the farmstead and all he talks about from the party is the balloons. It was a really windy day, and his balloons were blowing all over the place, which made him scream! We had to take the balloons to the car, and Levi never really recovered. So I really wanted Levi to enjoy this birthday. He was a part of the entire planning process, and I'm happy to report that he had the greatest time! I don't think I've ever seen him so happy and excited. At first the kids just played outside in the backyard. We set up our bounce house so they jumped on that and the trampoline and played on the swingset. We played a game of throwing coal into the troublesome trucks and then went inside for cake. Levi was so excited when he saw his cake. I worked on it for hours! Just kidding. I quickly realized that a Gordon cake was way beyond my abilities so I found a girl who could make it for me. I was amazed at how much it looked like Gordon!
We then opened presents (emphasis on the we!) I think all 15 kids had their hands in the process. At times I think all 15 kids were within a foot of me!
Thankfully, the present opening ended quickly and we scooted the kids to the front yard where we had a barrel train. I had the idea to get a barrel train a long time ago and started calling pumpkin patches to see if anyone had one that we could bring to our house. They all laughed at me, as did my hubby! The boys had taken a ride on a little barrel train at a blueberry patch out in the county just south of us, so I attempted to get a hold of them. But since it's not blueberry season they didn't answer their phone and I could never get them to call me back. Michael told me to give up, but I was determined to get one! You are probably realizing by now where Levi gets his persistence and strong will! I finally convinced the nice old man at the blueberry patch to let us borrow the barrels for the party. Michael pulled the kids around the neighborhood with a riding lawnmower that we borrowed from a neighbor. Michael had been dressed up as Sir Topham Hatt, the conductor of the railroad, but somehow the coat and hat were off soon after the party began.
I think all of the kids had such a great time and the party was just perfect for Levi. He was absolutely beaming all day! He especially loved the Woody and Buzz Lightyear that his cousins and aunt & uncle gave him. This is how we found him in his bed when we checked on him at the end of the night. I think it's a sign of a perfect day...
Sunday was Levi's actual birthday, and he woke up saying that he wanted to have a Gordon party "over and over again." Sorry Levi, not again! After a day of church and a friend's birthday party, we just celebrated at home with our family of 5 and Grandma. Levi wanted to have tacos for dinner and then we had some leftover Gordon cake. He was absolutely beaming all day!
It was such a fun birthday weekend. There's nothing better as a parent than to see your child with a glowing smile from ear to ear for 48 hours straight. And now we have a 4-year old...Yikes!
Wednesday, April 30, 2008
Gordon birthday
Posted by Sarah at 2:27 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You guys are too stinkin' cute! I love the picture of Michael as the conductor. I hope that Levi had a wonderful birthday!
Wow oh wow what a grand 4th birthday weekend...neat to see Levi so happy! He will remember your efforts when he is 21 ! :-) Thanks for the pics, & for all you did for Levi! You rock! You may have a calling as a childrens' party organizer Sarah, & Michael has a new calling as a conductor! Happy Birthday precious Levi! Love & miss you all!!!!! xoxoxoxoxo
Post a Comment